Section 624.4095, Florida Statutes 2009
624.4095 Premiums written; restrictions.--
(1) Whenever an insurer's ratio of actual or projected annual written premiums as adjusted in accordance with subsection (4) to current or projected surplus as to policyholders as adjusted in accordance with subsection (6) exceeds 10 to 1 for gross written premiums or exceeds 4 to 1 for net written premiums, the office shall suspend the insurer's certificate of authority or establish by order maximum gross or net annual premiums to be written by the insurer consistent with maintaining the ratios specified herein unless the insurer demonstrates to the office's satisfaction that exceeding the ratios of this section does not endanger the financial condition of the insurer or endanger the interests of the insurer's policyholders.
(2) Projected annual net or gross premiums shall be based on the actual writings to date for the insurer's current calendar year or the insurer's writings for the previous calendar year or both. Ratios shall be computed on an annualized basis.
(3) For the purposes of this section, gross premiums written means direct premiums written and reinsurance assumed.
(4) For the purposes of this section, for the calendar year ending December 31, 1990, and each subsequent year, premiums shall be calculated as the product of the actual or projected premiums and the following:
(a) For property insurance, 0.90.
(b) For casualty insurance, 1.25.
(c) For health insurance, 0.80.
(d) For all other kinds of insurance, 1.00.
(5) This section shall not apply to:
(a) Life insurance written by life or life and health insurers; or
(b) Life and health insurers which have a surplus as to policyholders greater than $40 million and which have written health insurance during each of the immediately preceding five calendar years.
(6) For the purposes of this section, surplus as to policyholders for life and health insurers shall be calculated as follows: (actual or projected surplus as to policyholders) minus (surplus as to policyholders required to be maintained under s. 624.408 for liabilities relating to life insurance).
History.--s. 4, ch. 85-245; s. 1, ch. 86-286; s. 27, ch. 89-360; ss. 187, 188, ch. 91-108; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 788, ch. 2003-261.