Section 626.521, Florida Statutes 2003
626.521 Character, credit reports.--
(1) As to each applicant who for the first time in this state is applying and qualifying for a license as agent, adjuster, service representative, customer representative, or managing general agent, the appointing insurer or its manager or general agent in this state, in the case of agents, or the appointing general lines agent, in the case of customer representatives, or the employer, in the case of service representatives and of adjusters who are not to be self-employed, shall coincidentally with such appointment or employment secure and thereafter keep on file a full detailed credit and character report made by an established and reputable independent reporting service, relative to the individual so appointed or employed.
(2) If requested by the department or office, the insurer, manager, general agent, general lines agent, or employer, as the case may be, shall furnish to the department or office on a form adopted by the department or commission and furnished by the department or office, such information as it may reasonably require relative to such individual and investigation.
(3) As to an applicant for an adjuster's or reinsurance intermediary's license who is to be self-employed, the department or office may secure, at the cost of the applicant, a full detailed credit and character report made by an established and reputable independent reporting service relative to the applicant.
(4) Each person who for the first time in this state is applying and qualifying for a license as a reinsurance intermediary shall file with her or his application for license a full, detailed credit and character report for the 5-year period immediately prior to the date of application for license, made by an established and reputable independent reporting service, relative to the individual if a partnership or sole proprietorship, or the officers if a corporation or other legal entity.
(5) Information contained in credit or character reports furnished to or secured by the department or office under this section is confidential and exempt from the provisions of s. 119.07(1).
History.--s. 231, ch. 59-205; ss. 13, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 10, ch. 71-86; s. 3, ch. 76-168; s. 1, ch. 77-457; s. 3, ch. 81-282; ss. 2, 3, ch. 81-318; ss. 197(1st), 217, 807, 810, ch. 82-243; s. 11, ch. 88-166; ss. 46, 206, 207, ch. 90-363; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 43, ch. 92-146; ss. 3, 4, ch. 93-80; s. 371, ch. 96-406; s. 1724, ch. 97-102; s. 23, ch. 98-199; s. 8, ch. 2001-142; s. 56, ch. 2002-206; s. 940, ch. 2003-261.