Section 627.0623, Florida Statutes 2001
627.0623 Restrictions on expenditures and solicitations of insurers and affiliates.--
(1) As used in this section:
(a) "Insurer" means any entity holding a certificate of authority under chapter 624, chapter 628, chapter 629, chapter 632, or chapter 641.
(b) "Affiliate" means any insurance holding company required to be registered under s. 628.801 or any subsidiary of such holding company.
(2) No insurer, affiliate, or officer of an insurer or affiliate, and no political committee or committee of continuous existence representing the interests of such insurer, affiliate, or officer shall make a contribution in excess of $100, for any election, to or on behalf of the Treasurer or to or on behalf of any candidate for the office of Treasurer. The provisions of this subsection shall not prevent any candidate or members of that candidate's family from contributing to that candidate's campaign as otherwise permitted by law.
(3) The Treasurer or a candidate for the office of Treasurer may not accept a campaign contribution in excess of $100 from any insurer, affiliate, or officer of an insurer or affiliate, or any political committee or committee of continuous existence that represents such insurer, affiliate, or officer.
(4) No employee of the department may solicit a campaign contribution for the Treasurer or any candidate for the office of Treasurer from any insurer, affiliate, or officer of an insurer or affiliate, or any political committee or committee of continuous existence that represents such insurer, affiliate, or officer. For purposes of this section, "employee of the department" means any person employed in the Department of Insurance or the Treasurer's office holding a position in the Senior Management Service as defined in s. 110.402; any person holding a position in the Selected Exempt Service as defined in s. 110.602; any person having authority over insurance policy, regulation, or supervision; or any person hired on a contractual basis, having the power normally conferred upon such person, by whatever title.
(5) The Department of Insurance shall make available by electronic means a list of persons whose names are filed with the department and who are insurers, affiliates, or officers subject to this section. The department may charge a fee for the furnishing of a list under this subsection in an amount to cover the cost of preparing the list.
(6) Any person who commits a knowing and willful violation of this section commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
History.--s. 20, ch. 92-318; s. 1, ch. 92-329.