Section 627.712, Florida Statutes 2007
627.712 Residential windstorm coverage required; availability of exclusions for windstorm or contents.--
(1) An insurer issuing a residential property insurance policy must provide windstorm coverage. This subsection does not apply with respect to risks that are eligible for wind-only coverage from Citizens Property Insurance Corporation under s. 627.351(6).
(2) A property insurer must make available, at the option of the policyholder, an exclusion of windstorm coverage. The coverage may be excluded only if:
(a)1. When the policyholder is a natural person, the policyholder personally writes and provides to the insurer the following statement in his or her own handwriting and signs his or her name, which must also be signed by every other named insured on the policy, and dated: "I do not want the insurance on my (home/mobile home/condominium unit) to pay for damage from windstorms. I will pay those costs. My insurance will not."
2. When the policyholder is other than a natural person, the policyholder provides to the insurer on the policyholder's letterhead the following statement that must be signed by the policyholder's authorized representative and dated: " (Name of entity) does not want the insurance on its (type of structure) to pay for damage from windstorms. (Name of entity) will be responsible for these costs. (Name of entity's) insurance will not."
(b) If the structure insured by the policy is subject to a mortgage or lien, the policyholder must provide the insurer with a written statement from the mortgageholder or lienholder indicating that the mortgageholder or lienholder approves the policyholder electing to exclude windstorm coverage or hurricane coverage from his or her or its property insurance policy.
(3) An insurer issuing a residential property insurance policy, except for a condominium unit owner's policy or a tenant's policy, must make available, at the option of the policyholder, an exclusion of coverage for the contents. The coverage may be excluded only if the policyholder personally writes and provides to the insurer the following statement in his or her own handwriting and signs his or her signature, which must also be signed by every other named insured on the policy, and dated: "I do not want the insurance on my (home/mobile home) to pay for the costs to repair or replace any contents that are damaged. I will pay those costs. My insurance will not."
(4) An insurer shall keep the original copy of a signed statement required by this section, electronically or otherwise, and provide a copy to the policyholder providing the signed statement. A signed statement meeting the requirements of this section creates a presumption that there was an informed, knowing rejection of coverage.
(5) The exclusions authorized by this section apply for the term of the policy and for each renewal thereafter. Changes to the exclusions authorized by this section may be implemented only as of the date of renewal.
(6) The commission shall adopt rules providing appropriate alternative methods for providing the statements required by this section for policyholders who have a handicapping or disabling condition that prevents them from providing a handwritten statement.
(7) This section is effective July 1, 2007, but the office may delay application of this section until a date no later than October 1, 2007, upon approval by the Financial Services Commission.
History.--s. 32, ch. 2007-1; s. 19, ch. 2007-90.