Section 633.01, Florida Statutes 2001
633.01 State Fire Marshal; powers and duties; rules.--
(1) The head of the Department of Insurance shall be designated as "State Fire Marshal." The State Fire Marshal has authority to adopt rules pursuant to ss. 120.536(1) and 120.54 to implement the provisions of this chapter conferring powers or duties upon the department. Rules shall be in substantial conformity with generally accepted standards of firesafety; shall take into consideration the direct supervision of children in nonresidential child care facilities; and shall balance and temper the need of the State Fire Marshal to protect all Floridians from fire hazards with the social and economic inconveniences that may be caused or created by the rules. The department shall adopt the Florida Fire Prevention Code and the Life Safety Code.
(2) Subject to the limitations of subsection (1), it is the intent of the Legislature that the State Fire Marshal shall have the responsibility to minimize the loss of life and property in this state due to fire. The State Fire Marshal shall enforce all laws and provisions of this chapter, and any rules adopted pursuant thereto, relating to:
(a) The prevention of fire and explosion through the regulation of conditions which could cause fire or explosion, the spread of fire, and panic resulting therefrom;
(b) Installation and maintenance of fire alarm systems and fire protection systems, including fire suppression systems, fire-extinguishing equipment, and fire sprinkler systems;
(c)1. Servicing, repairing, recharging, testing, marking, inspecting, installing, maintaining, and tagging of fire extinguishers, preengineered systems, and individually designed fire protection systems;
2. The training and licensing of persons engaged in the business of servicing, repairing, recharging, testing, marking, inspecting, installing, maintaining, and tagging fire extinguishers, preengineered systems, and individually designed fire protection systems;
(d) The maintenance of fire cause and loss records; and
(e) Suppression of arson and the investigation of the cause, origin, and circumstances of fire.
(3) The State Fire Marshal shall establish by rule guidelines and procedures for triennial renewal of firesafety inspector requirements for certification.
(4) It is the intent of the Legislature that the rules promulgated by the State Fire Marshal pursuant to this section be enforced in such a manner as to prohibit the displacement of currently placed mobile homes unless there is a threat of imminent danger to the health, safety, or welfare of the general public.
(5) It is the intent of the Legislature that there are to be no conflicting requirements between the Florida Fire Prevention Code and the Life Safety Code authorized by this chapter and the provisions of the Florida Building Code or conflicts in their enforcement and interpretation. Potential conflicts shall be resolved through coordination and cooperation of the State Fire Marshal and the Florida Building Commission as provided by this chapter and part VII of chapter 553.
(6) Only the State Fire Marshal may issue, and, when requested in writing by any substantially affected person or a local enforcing agency, the State Fire Marshal shall issue declaratory statements pursuant to s. 120.565 relating to the Florida Fire Prevention Code and the Life Safety Code.
History.--s. 1, ch. 20671, 1941; s. 1, ch. 65-216; s. 1, ch. 67-78; ss. 13, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 3, ch. 70-299; s. 5, ch. 71-271; s. 3, ch. 87-287; s. 13, ch. 89-233; s. 1, ch. 90-359; s. 5, ch. 95-379; s. 207, ch. 98-200; s. 57, ch. 98-287; ss. 100, 101, ch. 2000-141.