Section 634.313, Florida Statutes 2009
634.313 Tax on premiums; annual statement; reports.--
(1) In addition to paying the license taxes provided for in this part for home warranty associations and license taxes provided in the insurance code as to insurers, each such association and each such insurer must, annually on or before March 1, file with the office its annual statement, in the form prescribed by the commission, showing all premiums received by it in connection with the issuance of warranties in this state during the preceding calendar year and using accounting principles that will enable the office to ascertain whether the reserve required by s. 634.3077 has been maintained. Each annual statement must contain a balance sheet listing all assets and liabilities; a statement of operations and retained earnings; and a schedule used to report all claims statistics. The annual statement must be completed using generally accepted accounting principles except as otherwise provided in this part. Further, each association and each insurer must pay to the Chief Financial Officer a tax in an amount equal to 2 percent of the amount of such premiums so received.
(2) Premiums received by insurers and taxed under this section are not subject to any premium tax provided for in the insurance code.
(3) Any association or insurer neglecting to file the annual statement in the form and within the time provided by this section shall forfeit up to $100 for each day during which such neglect continues; and, upon notice by the office to that effect, its authority to do business in this state shall cease while such default continues. The office shall deposit all sums collected by it under this section to the credit of the Insurance Regulatory Trust Fund.
(4) In addition to an annual statement, the office may require of licensees, under oath and in the form prescribed by it, such additional regular or special reports as it may deem necessary to the proper supervision of licensees under this part.
(5) The commission may by rule require each home warranty association to submit to the office, as the commission may designate, all or part of the information contained in the financial reports required by this section in a computer-readable form compatible with the electronic data processing system specified by the office.
History.--s. 1, ch. 77-339; s. 243, ch. 79-400; s. 3, ch. 81-148; s. 2, ch. 81-318; s. 3, ch. 83-265; ss. 13, 32, 33, 34, ch. 83-323; s. 1, ch. 84-94; s. 29, ch. 87-99; ss. 15, 20, ch. 93-195; s. 18, ch. 2001-281; s. 1467, ch. 2003-261.