Section 648.37, Florida Statutes 2001
648.37 Runners; qualifications.--
(1) Applications for licensure as a runner must be submitted on forms prescribed by the department. All individuals who on July 1, 1996, hold a runner's license and appointment may remain licensed and appointed under the runner's license and may renew their appointments, but no license or appointment which has been terminated, not renewed, suspended, or revoked shall be reinstated and no new additional appointments shall be issued.
(2) In order for an applicant to qualify as a runner, it must affirmatively appear at the time of application and throughout the period of licensure that:
(a) The applicant is a natural person who has reached the age of 18 years.
(b) The applicant is a bona fide resident of this state. An individual who is a bona fide resident of this state shall be deemed to meet the residence requirement of this paragraph, notwithstanding the existence, at the time of application for license, of a license in the individual's name on the records of another state as a resident licensee of such other state, if the applicant furnishes a letter of clearance satisfactory to the department that the individual's resident licenses have been canceled or changed to a nonresident basis and that the individual is in good standing.
(c) The applicant will be employed by only one bail bond agent, insurer, or managing general agent who will supervise the work of the applicant and be responsible for the runner's conduct in the bail bond business.
(d) The application is endorsed by the appointing bail bond agent, insurer, or managing general agent who is obligated to supervise the runner's activities.
(e) The applicant is a person of high character and approved integrity and has never been convicted of or pleaded guilty or no contest to a felony, a crime involving moral turpitude, or a crime punishable by imprisonment of 1 year or more under the law of any state, territory, or country, whether or not a judgment or conviction is entered.
(f) Within 4 years prior to the date of his or her application, the applicant has successfully completed a basic certification course in the criminal justice system, consisting of not less than 20 hours approved by the department.
(3) The department may collect a fee necessary to cover the cost of a character and credit report made by an established and reputable independent reporting service. The fee shall be deposited to the credit of the Insurance Commissioner's Regulatory Trust Fund. Any information so furnished is confidential and exempt from the provisions of s. 119.07(1).
(4) The applicant shall furnish, with the application, a complete set of his or her fingerprints and a recent credential-sized, fullface photograph of the applicant. The applicant's fingerprints shall be certified by an authorized law enforcement officer.
(5) The applicant shall file with the department statements by at least three reputable citizens who are residents of the same counties in which the applicant proposes to be engaged as a runner.
(6) The department shall conduct a comprehensive investigation of each applicant, including a background check.
History.--s. 9, ch. 29621, 1955; s. 6, ch. 59-326; s. 2, ch. 61-119; s. 12, ch. 61-406; s. 25, ch. 65-269; ss. 13, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 177, ch. 70-339; s. 3, ch. 76-168; s. 1, ch. 77-116; s. 62, ch. 77-121; s. 1, ch. 77-457; ss. 2, 3, ch. 81-318; ss. 14, 71, 72, ch. 82-175; s. 139, ch. 83-216; ss. 15, 50, 51, ch. 84-103; s. 5, ch. 87-321; s. 59, ch. 88-166; ss. 16, 46, 47, ch. 90-131; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 4, ch. 93-119; s. 16, ch. 96-372; s. 404, ch. 96-406.
Note.--Former s. 903.45.