Section 650.02, Florida Statutes 2009
650.02 Definitions.--For the purpose of this chapter:
(1) The term "wages" means all remuneration for employment as defined herein, including the cash value of all remuneration paid in any medium other than cash, except that such term shall not include that part of such remuneration which, even if it were for "employment" within the meaning of the Federal Insurance Contributions Act, would not constitute "wages" within the meaning of that act.
(2) The term "employment" means any services performed by an employee in the employ of the state, or any political subdivision thereof, including hospital or drainage taxing districts, for such employer, except:
(a) Service which in the absence of an agreement entered into under this chapter would constitute "employment" as defined in the Social Security Act.
(b) Service which under the Social Security Act may not be included in an agreement between this state and the Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare entered into under this chapter. Service which under the Social Security Act may be included in an agreement only upon certification by the Governor in accordance with s. 218(d)(3) of that act shall be included in the term "employment" if and when the Governor issues, with respect to such services, a certificate to the Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare, pursuant to said section.
(c) At the option of the employer, and when so provided in its agreement, any one or more of the following:
1. Service in any class or classes of elective positions.
2. Service in any class or classes of part-time positions.
3. Service in any class or classes of positions the compensation for which is on a fee basis.
4. Service performed by individuals as members of a coverage group (as defined in s. 218(b) of the Social Security Act, as amended) in positions covered by a retirement system on the date the federal-state agreement is made applicable to such coverage group, but only in the case of individuals who, on such date (or, if later, the date on which they first occupy such positions), are not eligible to become members of such system and whose services in such positions have not already been included under such agreement.
5. Agricultural labor, as defined in s. 210 of the Social Security Act, as amended.
6. Service performed by a student for the school in which the student is enrolled.
(3) The term "employee" includes an officer of the state or political subdivision thereof.
(4) The term "state agency" means the Department of Management Services.
(5) The term "Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare" includes any individual to whom the Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare has delegated any of the secretary's functions under the Social Security Act with respect to coverage under such act of employees of states and their political subdivisions, and with respect to any action taken prior to April 11, 1953, includes the Federal Security Administrator and any individual to whom such administrator had delegated any such function.
(6) The term "political subdivision" includes an instrumentality of the state, or of one or more of its political subdivisions, but only if such instrumentality is a juristic entity which is legally separate and distinct from the state or subdivision and only if its employees are not by virtue of their relation to such juristic entity employees of the state or subdivision.
(7) The term "Social Security Act" means the Act of Congress approved August 14, 1935, Chapter 531, 49 Stat. 620, officially cited as the "Social Security Act," (including regulations and requirements issued pursuant thereto), as such act has been and may from time to time be amended.
(8) The term "Federal Insurance Contributions Act" means subchapter A of chapter 9 of the Federal Internal Revenue Code of 1939 and subchapters A and B of chapter 21 of the Federal Internal Revenue Code of 1954, as such codes have been and may from time to time be amended; and the term "employee tax" means the tax imposed by s. 1400 of such code of 1939 and s. 3101 of such code of 1954.
History.--s. 2, ch. 26841, 1951; ss. 1, 2, 3, ch. 28246, 1953; ss. 1, 3, 4, 5, ch. 29824, 1955; s. 1, ch. 65-151; ss. 31, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 1, ch. 70-127; s. 1, ch. 73-326; s. 133, ch. 92-279; s. 55, ch. 92-326; s. 17, ch. 95-154; s. 503, ch. 97-102; s. 98, ch. 99-255.