Section 943.611, Florida Statutes 2004
943.611 Director of Capitol Police.--
(1) The executive director of the Department of Law Enforcement shall nominate, no later than 7 days prior to each organization session of the Legislature, an individual to serve as the director of the Capitol Police, who shall serve at the pleasure of the executive director of the Department of Law Enforcement.
(2) Unless discharged by the executive director of the Department of Law Enforcement, the director shall serve until:
(a) A successor has been nominated; or
(b) The director has been nominated for reappointment and the time for obtaining reapproval has expired.
(3) In the event that a nominee is not approved or the director is discharged by the executive director of the department, or the position is otherwise vacant, a successor shall be nominated and approved as provided in subsection (4). No person who has previously been nominated and who failed to obtain approval shall be nominated to serve as the successor.
(4) Each person nominated pursuant to either subsection (1) or subsection (3) must be approved no later than 30 days after the adjournment sine die of the next session of the Legislature, whether organization, regular, or special session, by the Governor and by the House of Representatives and the Senate, in a manner determined by the presiding officer of each house unless an approval process is otherwise provided for in the rules of the respective house.
(5) A nominee shall serve as the acting director until the time for obtaining approval has expired.
History.--s. 15, ch. 2002-21.