Section 1001.47, Florida Statutes 2003
1001.47 District school superintendent; salary.--
(1) Each district school superintendent shall receive as salary the amount indicated pursuant to this section. However, a district school board, by majority vote, may approve a salary in excess of the amount specified in this section.
(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of chapter 145 to the contrary, the annual salaries of elected district school superintendents for 1993 and each year thereafter shall be established at the same amounts as the district school superintendents were paid for fiscal year 1991-1992, adjusted by each annual increase provided for in chapter 145.
(3) This section does not apply to a district school superintendent appointed pursuant to the terms of s. 1001.50.
(4)(a) There shall be an additional $2,000 per year special qualification salary for each district school superintendent who has met the certification requirements established by the Department of Education. Any district school superintendent who is certified during a calendar year shall receive in that year a pro rata share of the special qualification salary based on the remaining period of the year.
(b) In order to qualify for the special qualification salary provided by paragraph (a), the district school superintendent must complete the requirements established by the Department of Education within 6 years after first taking office.
(c) After a district school superintendent meets the requirements of paragraph (a), in order to remain certified the district school superintendent shall thereafter be required to complete each year a course of continuing education as prescribed by the Department of Education.
(5)(a) The Department of Education shall provide a leadership development and performance compensation program for district school superintendents, comparable to chief executive officer development programs for corporate executive officers, to include:
1. A content-knowledge-and-skills phase consisting of: creative leadership models and theory, demonstration of effective practice, simulation exercises and personal skills practice, and assessment with feedback, taught in a professional training setting under the direction of experienced, successful trainers.
2. A competency-acquisition phase consisting of on-the-job application of knowledge and skills for a period of not less than 6 months following the successful completion of the content-knowledge-and-skills phase. The competency-acquisition phase shall be supported by adequate professional technical assistance provided by experienced trainers approved by the department. Competency acquisition shall be demonstrated through assessment and feedback.
(b) Upon the successful completion of both phases and demonstrated successful performance, as determined by the department, a district school superintendent shall be issued a Chief Executive Officer Leadership Development Certificate and shall be given an annual performance salary incentive of not less than $3,000 nor more than $7,500 based upon his or her performance evaluation.
(c) A district school superintendent's eligibility to continue receiving the annual performance salary incentive is contingent upon his or her continued performance assessment and followup training prescribed by the department.
History.--s. 67, ch. 2002-387.