Section 1009.536, Florida Statutes 2009
1009.536 Florida Gold Seal Vocational Scholars award.--The Florida Gold Seal Vocational Scholars award is created within the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program to recognize and reward academic achievement and career preparation by high school students who wish to continue their education.
(1) A student is eligible for a Florida Gold Seal Vocational Scholars award if the student meets the general eligibility requirements for the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program and the student:
(a) Completes the secondary school portion of a sequential program of studies that requires at least three secondary school career credits taken over at least 2 academic years, and is continued in a planned, related postsecondary education program. If the student's school does not offer such a two-plus-two or tech-prep program, the student must complete a job-preparatory career education program selected by Workforce Florida, Inc., for its ability to provide high-wage employment in an occupation with high potential for employment opportunities. On-the-job training may not be substituted for any of the three required career credits.
(b) Demonstrates readiness for postsecondary education by earning a passing score on the Florida College Entry Level Placement Test or its equivalent as identified by the Department of Education.
(c) Earns a minimum cumulative weighted grade point average of 3.0, as calculated pursuant to s. 1009.531, on all subjects required for a standard high school diploma, excluding elective courses.
(d) Earns a minimum unweighted grade point average of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale for secondary career courses comprising the career program.
(2) A Florida Gold Seal Vocational Scholar is eligible for an award equal to the amount required to pay 75 percent of tuition and fees, if the student is enrolled in a public postsecondary education institution. A student who is enrolled in a nonpublic postsecondary education institution is eligible for an award equal to the amount that would be required to pay 75 percent of the tuition and mandatory fees of a public postsecondary education institution at the comparable level.
(3) To be eligible for a renewal award as a Florida Gold Seal Vocational Scholar, a student must maintain the equivalent of a cumulative grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale with an opportunity for restoration one time as provided in this chapter.
(4) A student may earn a Florida Gold Seal Vocational Scholarship for 110 percent of the number of credit hours required to complete the program, up to 90 credit hours or the equivalent.
(5) Notwithstanding subsection (2), a Florida Gold Seal Vocational Scholar is eligible for an award equal to the amount specified in the General Appropriations Act for the 2009-2010 academic year. This subsection expires July 1, 2010.
History.--s. 428, ch. 2002-387; s. 58, ch. 2004-41; s. 122, ch. 2004-357; s. 60, ch. 2005-152; s. 17, ch. 2009-60.