(1) The Statewide Office for Suicide Prevention is created as a unit of the Office of Drug Control within the Executive Office of the Governor.
(2) The statewide office shall, within available resources:
(a) Develop a network of community-based programs to improve suicide prevention initiatives. The network shall identify and work to eliminate barriers to providing suicide prevention services to individuals who are at risk of suicide. The network shall consist of stakeholders advocating suicide prevention, including, but not limited to, not-for-profit suicide prevention organizations, faith-based suicide prevention organizations, law enforcement agencies, first responders to emergency calls, suicide prevention community coalitions, schools and universities, mental health agencies, substance abuse treatment agencies, health care providers, and school personnel.
(b) Prepare and implement the statewide plan with the advice of the Suicide Prevention Coordinating Council.
(c) Increase public awareness concerning topics relating to suicide prevention.
(d) Coordinate education and training curricula in suicide prevention efforts for law enforcement personnel, first responders to emergency calls, health care providers, school employees, and other persons who may have contact with persons at risk of suicide.
(3) Contingent upon a specific appropriation, the director of the Office of Drug Control shall employ a coordinator for the Statewide Office for Suicide Prevention who shall work under the direction of the director to achieve the goals and objectives set forth in this section.
(4) The Statewide Office for Suicide Prevention may seek and accept grants or funds from any federal, state, or local source to support the operation and defray the authorized expenses of the office and the Suicide Prevention Coordinating Council. Revenues from grants shall be deposited in the Grants and Donations Trust Fund within the Executive Office of the Governor. In accordance with s. 216.181(11), the Executive Office of the Governor may request changes to the approved operating budget to allow the expenditure of any additional grant funds collected pursuant to this subsection.
(5) Agencies under the control of the Governor or the Governor and Cabinet are directed, and all others are encouraged, to provide information and support to the Statewide Office for Suicide Prevention as requested.