(1) In any election or referendum in which only electors who are freeholders are qualified to vote, the regular registration books covering the precincts located within the geographical area in which the election or referendum is to be held shall be used.
(2) Qualification and registration of electors participating in such an election or referendum shall be the same as prescribed for voting in other elections under this code, and, in addition, each such elector shall submit proof by affidavit made before an inspector that the elector is a freeholder who is a qualified elector residing in the county, district, or municipality in which the election or referendum is to be held.
(3) Each registered elector who makes a sworn affidavit of ownership to the inspectors, giving either a legal description, address, or location of property in the elector’s name which is not wholly exempt from taxation shall be entitled to vote in the election or referendum and shall be considered a freeholder.
(4) The actual costs of conducting such freeholders’ election or referendum shall be paid by the county, district, or municipality requiring the same to be held.
(5) It is unlawful for any person to vote in any county, district, or other election or referendum which is limited to a vote of the electors who are freeholders, unless such person is a freeholder and a qualified elector. Any person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.