163.521 Neighborhood improvement district inside enterprise zone; funding.—The local governing body of any municipality or county in which the boundaries of an enterprise zone include a neighborhood improvement district in whole or in part, prior to October 1 of each year, may request the Department of Legal Affairs to submit within its budget request to the Legislature provisions to fund capital improvements. A request may be made for 100 percent of the capital improvement costs for 25 percent of the area of the enterprise zone which overlaps the district. The local governing body may also request a 100-percent matching grant for capital improvement costs for the remaining 75 percent of the area of the enterprise zone which overlaps the district. Local governments must demonstrate the capacity to implement the project within 2 years after the date of the appropriation. Funds appropriated under this provision may not be expended until after completion and approval of the safe neighborhood improvement plan pursuant to ss. 163.516 and 163.519(11). Capital improvements contained within the request submitted by the local governing body must be specifically related to crime prevention through community policing innovations, environmental design, environmental security, and defensible space and must be reviewed by the department for compliance with the principles of crime prevention through community policing innovations, environmental design, environmental security, and defensible space. The department shall rank order all requests received for capital improvements funding based on the necessity of the improvements to the overall implementation of the safe neighborhood plan; the degree to which the improvements help the plan achieve crime prevention through community policing innovations, environmental design, environmental security, and defensible space objectives; the effect of the improvements on residents of low or moderate income; and the fiscal inability of local government to perform the improvements without state assistance.
History.—s. 69, ch. 87-243; s. 31, ch. 88-381; s. 18, ch. 91-86; s. 20, ch. 98-314.