(1) It is the intent and purpose of the Legislature that a statewide system of regional law enforcement communications be developed whereby maximum efficiency in the use of existing radio channels is achieved in order to deal more effectively with the apprehension of criminals and the prevention of crime. To this end, all law enforcement agencies within the state are directed to provide the department with any information the department requests for the purpose of implementing the provisions of subsection (2).
(2) The department is hereby authorized and directed to develop and maintain a statewide system of regional law enforcement communications. In formulating such a system, the department shall divide the state into appropriate regions and shall develop a program that includes, but is not limited to:
(a) The communications requirements for each county and municipality comprising the region.
(b) An interagency communications provision that depicts the communication interfaces between municipal, county, and state law enforcement entities operating within the region.
(c) A frequency allocation and use provision that includes, on an entity basis, each assigned and planned radio channel and the type of operation, simplex, duplex, or half-duplex, on each channel.
(3) The department shall adopt any necessary rules and regulations for administering and coordinating the statewide system of regional law enforcement communications.
(4) The secretary of the department or his or her designee is designated as the director of the statewide system of regional law enforcement communications and, for the purpose of carrying out the provisions of this section, may coordinate the activities of the system with other interested state agencies and local law enforcement agencies.
(5) A law enforcement communications system may not be established or expanded without the prior approval of the department.
(6) Within the limits of its capability, the Department of Law Enforcement is encouraged to lend assistance to the department in the development of the statewide system of regional law enforcement communications proposed by this section.