(1) The department is authorized to approve or disapprove lighting devices and to issue and enforce regulations establishing standards and specifications for the approval of such lighting devices, their installation, adjustment, and aiming, and adjustment when in use on motor vehicles. Such regulations shall correlate with standards and specifications of the society of automotive engineers applicable to such equipment.
(2) The department is required to approve or disapprove any lighting device of a type on which approval is specifically required in this chapter within a reasonable time after such device has been submitted.
(3) The department is further authorized to set up the procedure which shall be followed when any device is submitted for approval.
(4) The department, upon approving any such lamp or device, shall issue to the applicant a certificate of approval together with any instructions determined by it.
(5) The department shall publish lists of all lamps and devices by name and type which have been approved by it.