(1) The Legislature finds that over the past several years the department and individual county tax collectors have entered into contracts for the delivery of full and limited driver license services where such contractual relationships best served the public interest through state administration and enforcement and local government implementation. It is the intent of the Legislature that the complete transition of all driver license issuance services to tax collectors who are constitutional officers under s. 1(d), Art. VIII of the State Constitution be completed no later than June 30, 2015. The transition of services to appointed charter county tax collectors may occur on a limited basis as directed by the department.
(2) The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles is charged with the administration and function of enforcement of the provisions of this chapter.
(3) The department shall employ a director, who is charged with the duty of serving as the executive officer of the Division of Driver Licenses of the department insofar as the administration of this chapter is concerned. He or she shall be subject to the supervision and direction of the department, and his or her official actions and decisions as executive officer shall be conclusive unless the same are superseded or reversed by the department or by a court of competent jurisdiction.
(4) The department shall have the authority to enter into reciprocal driver’s license agreements with other jurisdictions within the United States and its territories and possessions and with foreign countries or political entities equivalent to Florida state government within a foreign country.
(5) The tax collector in and for his or her county may be designated the exclusive agent of the department to implement and administer the provisions of this chapter as provided by s. 322.135.
(6) The department shall make and adopt rules and regulations for the orderly administration of this chapter.