(1) By petition to the secretary, a local government may request certification to receive notices of intent to mine, to review, and to conduct compliance inspections.
(2) In deciding whether to grant certification to a local government, the secretary shall determine whether the following criteria are being met:
(a) The petitioning local government has adopted and effectively implemented a local government comprehensive plan.
(b) The local government has adequate review procedures and the financial and staffing resources necessary to assume responsibility for adequate review and inspection.
(c) The local government has a record of effectively reviewing, inspecting, and enforcing compliance with local ordinances and state laws.
(3) In making his or her determination, the secretary shall consult with the Department of Community Affairs, the appropriate regional planning council, and the appropriate water management district.
(4) The secretary shall evaluate the performance of a local government on a regular basis to ensure compliance with this section. All or part of the certification may be rescinded if the secretary determines that the certification is not being carried out pursuant to the requirements of this part.
(5) The department shall establish the certification procedure by rule.