(1) One or more Closing the Gap grants may be awarded in a county, or in a group of adjoining counties from which a multicounty application is submitted. Front Porch Florida Communities grants may also be awarded in a county or group of adjoining counties that are also receiving a grant award.
(2) Closing the Gap grants shall be awarded on a matching basis. One dollar in local matching funds must be provided for each $3 grant payment made by the state, except that:
(a) In counties with populations greater than 50,000, up to 50 percent of the local match may be in kind in the form of free services or human resources. Fifty percent of the local match must be in the form of cash.
(b) In counties with populations of 50,000 or less, the required local matching funds may be provided entirely through in-kind contributions.
(c) Grant awards to Front Porch Florida Communities shall not be required to have a matching requirement.
(3) The amount of the grant award shall be based on the county or neighborhood’s population, or on the combined population in a group of adjoining counties from which a multicounty application is submitted, and on other factors, as determined by the department.
(4) Dissemination of grant awards shall begin no later than January 1, 2001.
(5) A Closing the Gap grant shall be funded for 1 year and may be renewed annually upon application to and approval by the department, subject to the achievement of quality standards, objectives, and outcomes and to the availability of funds.
(6) Implementation of the Reducing Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities: Closing the Gap grant program shall be subject to a specific appropriation provided in the General Appropriations Act.