As used in this act:
(1) “Board” means the Board of Massage Therapy.
(2) “Department” means the Department of Health.
(3) “Massage” means the manipulation of the soft tissues of the human body with the hand, foot, arm, or elbow, whether or not such manipulation is aided by hydrotherapy, including colonic irrigation, or thermal therapy; any electrical or mechanical device; or the application to the human body of a chemical or herbal preparation.
(4) “Massage therapist” means a person licensed as required by this act, who administers massage for compensation.
(5) “Apprentice” means a person approved by the board to study massage under the instruction of a licensed massage therapist.
(6) “Colonic irrigation” means a method of hydrotherapy used to cleanse the colon with the aid of a mechanical device and water.
(7) “Establishment” means a site or premises, or portion thereof, wherein a massage therapist practices massage.
(8) “Licensure” means the procedure by which a person, hereinafter referred to as a “practitioner,” applies to the board for approval to practice massage or to operate an establishment.
(9) “Board-approved massage school” means a facility which meets minimum standards for training and curriculum as determined by rule of the board and which is licensed by the Department of Education pursuant to chapter 1005 or the equivalent licensing authority of another state or is within the public school system of this state.