(1) No massage establishment shall be allowed to operate without a license granted by the department in accordance with rules adopted by the board.
(2) The board shall adopt rules governing the operation of establishments and their facilities, personnel, safety and sanitary requirements, financial responsibility, insurance coverage, and the license application and granting process.
(3) Any person, firm, or corporation desiring to operate a massage establishment in the state shall submit to the department an application, upon forms provided by the department, accompanied by any information requested by the department and an application fee.
(4) Upon receiving the application, the department may cause an investigation to be made of the proposed massage establishment.
(5) If, based upon the application and any necessary investigation, the department determines that the proposed establishment would fail to meet the standards adopted by the board under subsection (2), the department shall deny the application for license. Such denial shall be in writing and shall list the reasons for denial. Upon correction of any deficiencies, an applicant previously denied permission to operate a massage establishment may reapply for licensure.
(6) If, based upon the application and any necessary investigation, the department determines that the proposed massage establishment may reasonably be expected to meet the standards adopted by the department under subsection (2), the department shall grant the license under such restrictions as it shall deem proper as soon as the original licensing fee is paid.
(7)(a) Once issued, no license for operation of a massage establishment may be transferred from one owner to another.
(b) A license may be transferred from one location to another only after inspection and approval by the board and receipt of an application and inspection fee set by rule of the board, not to exceed $125.
(c) A license may be transferred from one business name to another after approval by the board and receipt of an application fee set by rule of the board, not to exceed $25.
(8) Renewal of license registration for massage establishments shall be accomplished pursuant to rules adopted by the board. The board is further authorized to adopt rules governing delinquent renewal of licenses and may impose penalty fees for delinquent renewal.
(9) The board is authorized to adopt rules governing the periodic inspection of massage establishments licensed under this act.