(1) There is hereby created within the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services the Tropical Fruit Advisory Council to consist of eight members as follows: the chair of the State Agricultural Advisory Council or a designee thereof; a representative from the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences at the University of Florida who is a specialist in tropical fruits; and six additional commercial members representing as fairly as may be possible the diverse tropical fruit industry and tropical fruit growers associations, who shall be appointed for a 4-year term by the Commissioner of Agriculture. Initially, the Commissioner of Agriculture shall appoint two members for a term of 4 years, two members for a term of 3 years, two members for a term of 2 years, and two members for a term of 1 year. Thereafter, members shall be appointed for 4-year terms.
(2) Immediately after their appointment, the members of the council shall meet and organize by electing a chair, a vice chair, and a secretary, and shall adopt rules of procedure for governing their deliberations. The terms of such officers shall be for 1 year.
(3) The council shall meet in South Florida at the call of its chair, at the request of a majority of its membership, at the request of the Commissioner of Agriculture, or at such times as may be prescribed by its rules.
(4) Three-fourths of the members of the council shall constitute a quorum for all purposes, and an act by a majority of such quorum at any meeting shall constitute an official act of the council.
(5) The primary responsibilities of the Tropical Fruit Advisory Council shall be to provide necessary assistance, review, and recommendations for drafting a South Florida Tropical Fruit Plan.