(1) The office shall not issue or permit to exist a certificate of authority to operate a health maintenance organization in this state unless the organization has deposited with the department $10,000 in cash for use in the Rehabilitation Administrative Expense Fund as established in subsection (2).
(2) The department shall maintain all deposits received under this section and all income from such deposits in trust in an account titled “Rehabilitation Administrative Expense Fund.” The fund shall be administered by the department and shall be used for the purpose of payment of the administrative expenses of the department during any rehabilitation of a health maintenance organization, when rehabilitation is ordered by a court of competent jurisdiction.
(3) Upon successful rehabilitation of a health maintenance organization, the organization shall reimburse the fund for the amount of expenses incurred by the department during the court-ordered rehabilitation period.
(4) If a court of competent jurisdiction orders liquidation of a health maintenance organization, the fund shall be reimbursed for expenses incurred by the department as provided for in chapter 631.
(5) Each deposit made under this section shall be allowed as an asset for purposes of determination of the financial condition of the health maintenance organization. The deposit shall be refunded to the organization only when the organization both ceases operation as a health maintenance organization and no longer holds a subsisting certificate of authority.