732.2085 Liability of direct recipients and beneficiaries.—
(1) Only direct recipients of property included in the elective estate and the beneficiaries of the decedent’s probate estate or of any trust that is a direct recipient, are liable to contribute toward satisfaction of the elective share.
(a) Within each of the classes described in s. 732.2075(2)(b) and (c), each direct recipient is liable in an amount equal to the value, as determined under s. 732.2055, of the proportional part of the liability for all members of the class.
(b) Trust and probate estate beneficiaries who receive a distribution of principal after the decedent’s death are liable in an amount equal to the value of the principal distributed to them multiplied by the contribution percentage of the distributing trust or estate. For this purpose, “contribution percentage” means the remaining unsatisfied balance of the trust or estate at the time of the distribution divided by the value of the trust or estate as determined under s. 732.2055. “Remaining unsatisfied balance” means the amount of liability initially apportioned to the trust or estate reduced by amounts or property previously contributed by any person in satisfaction of that liability.
(2) In lieu of paying the amount for which they are liable, beneficiaries who have received a distribution of property included in the elective estate and direct recipients other than the decedent’s probate estate or revocable trusts, may:
(a) Contribute a proportional part of all property received; or
(b) With respect to any property interest received before the date of the court’s order of contribution:
1. Contribute all of the property; or
2. If the property has been sold or exchanged prior to the date on which the spouse’s election is filed, pay an amount equal to the value of the property, less reasonable costs of sale, on the date it was sold or exchanged.
In the application of paragraph (a), the “proportional part of all property received” is determined separately for each class of priority under s. 732.2075(2).
(3) If a person pays the value of the property on the date of a sale or exchange or contributes all of the property received, as provided in paragraph (2)(b):
(a) No further contribution toward satisfaction of the elective share shall be required with respect to that property.
(b) Any unsatisfied contribution is treated as additional unsatisfied balance and reapportioned to other recipients as provided in s. 732.2075 and this section.
(4) If any part of s. 732.2035 or s. 732.2075 is preempted by federal law with respect to a payment, an item of property, or any other benefit included in the elective estate, a person who, not for value, receives the payment, item of property, or any other benefit is obligated to return the payment, item of property, or benefit, or is personally liable for the amount of the payment or the value of that item of property or benefit, as provided in ss. 732.2035 and 732.2075, to the person who would have been entitled to it were that section or part of that section not preempted.
History.—s. 8, ch. 99-343; s. 24, ch. 2001-226; s. 6, ch. 2009-115.