(2)(a) “Credit service organization” means any person who, with respect to the extension of credit by others, sells, provides, performs, or represents that he or she can or will sell, provide, or perform, in return for the payment of money or other valuable consideration, any of the following services:
1. Improving a buyer’s credit record, history, or rating;
2. Obtaining an extension of credit for a buyer; or
3. Providing advice or assistance to a buyer with regard to the services described in either subparagraph 1. or subparagraph 2.
(b) “Credit service organization” does not include:
1. Any person authorized to make loans or extensions of credit under the laws of this state or the United States who is subject to regulation and supervision by this state or the United States or a lender approved by the United States Secretary of Housing and Urban Development for participation in any mortgage insurance program under the National Housing Act;
2. Any bank, savings bank, or savings and loan association whose deposits or accounts are eligible for insurance by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation or the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation, or a subsidiary of such bank, savings bank, or savings and loan association;
3. Any credit union, federal credit union, or out-of-state credit union doing business in this state;
4. Any nonprofit organization exempt from taxation under s. 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code;
5. Any person licensed as a real estate broker by this state if the person is acting within the course and scope of that license;
6. Any person collecting consumer claims pursuant to s. 559.72;
7. Any person licensed to practice law in this state if the person renders services within the course and scope of his or her practice as an attorney and does not engage in the credit service business on a regular and continuing basis;
8. Any broker-dealer registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission or the Commodity Futures Trading Commission if the broker-dealer is acting within the course and scope of that regulation; or
9. Any consumer reporting agency as defined in the Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act, 15 U.S.C. ss. 1681-1681t.