Section 385.207, Florida Statutes 2009
385.207 Care and assistance of persons with epilepsy; establishment of programs in epilepsy control.--
(1) The Legislature finds and intends that epilepsy is recognized as a developmental disability and a handicapping condition. The Legislature further intends that persons with epilepsy are entitled to the protection and benefits available to all persons through the equal and nondiscriminatory application and implementation of statutes, rules, programs, and services.
(2) The Department of Health shall:
(a) Establish within the office of the Deputy State Health Officer a program for the care and assistance of persons with epilepsy and promote and assist in the continued development and expansion of programs for the case management, diagnosis, care, and treatment of such persons, including required pharmaceuticals, medical procedures, and techniques which will have a positive effect in the care and treatment of persons with epilepsy.
(b) Develop standards for determining eligibility for care and treatment under such program.
(c) Assist in the development of programs for the prevention of and early intervention in epilepsy.
(d) Assist in the establishment of screening programs and early diagnosis facilities.
(e) Institute and maintain an educational program among physicians, hospitals, county health departments, and the public concerning epilepsy, including the dissemination of information and the conducting of educational programs concerning the prevention of epilepsy and methods developed and used for the care and treatment of persons with epilepsy.
(f) Contract for the provision of care as outlined in paragraph (a).
(g) Continue current programs and develop cooperative programs and services designed to enhance the vocational rehabilitation of epilepsy clients, including the current jobs programs. The department shall keep and make available to the Governor and the Legislature information regarding the number of clients served, the outcome reached, and the expense incurred by such programs and services.
(h) Monitor participating facilities or agencies for program compliance with the terms contained in service contracts.
(3) Revenue for statewide implementation of programs for epilepsy prevention and education pursuant to this section shall be derived pursuant to the provisions of s. 318.21(6) and shall be deposited in the Epilepsy Services Trust Fund, which is hereby established to be administered by the Department of Health.
(4) The department shall adopt rules to administer this section. The rules may include requirements for the scope of service, criteria for eligibility, and requirements for reports and forms.
(5) Nothing in this section shall be construed to obligate the state to provide direct financial assistance to clients requiring epilepsy therapy.
(6) Funds in the Epilepsy Services Trust Fund may be appropriated for epilepsy case management services.
(7) The department shall limit total administrative expenditures from the Epilepsy Services Trust Fund to 5 percent of annual receipts.
History.--s. 3, ch. 88-398; s. 1, ch. 90-141; s. 73, ch. 97-101; s. 22, ch. 2000-242; s. 25, ch. 2000-367; ss. 18, 72, 73, ch. 2002-402; s. 406, ch. 2003-261; s. 25, ch. 2003-399; s. 7, ch. 2003-400; s. 4, ch. 2004-245; ss. 11, 76, ch. 2004-269.