Section 570.53, Florida Statutes 2009
570.53 Division of Marketing and Development; powers and duties.--The powers and duties of the Division of Marketing and Development include, but are not limited to:
(1)(a) Managing the operation of all agricultural marketing facilities and managing or leasing state livestock and crop pavilions owned by the state. The department shall give first priority to those engaged in the production or sale of Florida's agricultural products when negotiating leases for the use of agricultural marketing facilities.
(b) Performing other related duties and responsibilities which are required of the department by s. 570.07(18), including authorizing the removal of a vehicle by a towing service when the vehicle is parked in a manner that restricts the normal operation of business at any such agricultural marketing facility.
(2) Enforcing the provisions of ss. 604.15-604.34, the dealers in agricultural products law, and ss. 534.47-534.53.
(3) Obtaining and disseminating current price, supply, and movement data and other such pertinent information on the agricultural economy of the state as required of the department by ss. 570.07(4) and (17) and 570.21.
(4) Stimulating, encouraging, and fostering the production and consumption of agricultural products and conducting activities that may foster a better understanding and more efficient cooperation among producers, buyers, food editors, and the consuming public in the promotion and marketing of Florida agricultural products as required of the department by s. 570.07(20).
(5) Obtaining and disseminating production statistics, historical data, and other such pertinent information on the agricultural economy of the state as required of the department by ss. 570.07(4) and (17) and 570.21.
(6)(a) Providing professional marketing services to the agricultural agribusiness industry.
(b) Establishing and maintaining programs which will aid in the orderly marketing of agricultural products.
(c) Assisting in providing efficient and effective distribution of agricultural products.
(d) Developing plans and recommendations designed to support the agricultural industry in meeting its marketing needs.
(e) Extending in every practicable way the distribution and sale of Florida agricultural products throughout the markets of the world as required of the department by ss. 570.07(7), (8), (10), and (11) and 570.071 and chapters 571, 573, and 574.
(7) Entering into contracts with private persons for the renovation or construction of agricultural marketing facilities. These contracts may include provisions for private financing and leaseback agreements for the recoupment of initial private investment. All schematic and conceptual construction plans shall be subject to approval by the division. The department shall promulgate rules and develop policies for using these contracts.
(8) Administering the provisions of chapter 616, including the Florida State Fair Authority and other fair or exposition charters, permits, applications, fees, premiums and awards, agricultural exhibits, and youth activities, but excluding amusement ride inspection, inspection fees, and safety requirements, at public fairs and expositions, carnivals, festivals, celebrations, bazaars, permanent facilities, and parking lot still dates.
History.--s. 1, ch. 59-54; s. 4, ch. 65-459; ss. 4, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 1, ch. 71-195; s. 5, ch. 79-122; s. 11, ch. 84-165; s. 1, ch. 85-36; s. 4, ch. 88-341; s. 1, ch. 91-253; s. 35, ch. 92-291; s. 29, ch. 93-169.