Section 633.34, Florida Statutes 2003
633.34 Firefighters; qualifications for employment.--Any person applying for employment as a firefighter must:
(1) Be a high school graduate or the equivalent, as the term may be determined by the division, and at least 18 years of age.
(2) Neither have been convicted of a felony or of a misdemeanor directly related to the position of employment sought, nor have pled nolo contendere to any charge of a felony. If an applicant has been convicted of a felony, such applicant must be in compliance with s. 112.011(2)(b). If an applicant has been convicted of a misdemeanor directly related to the position of employment sought, such applicant shall be excluded from employment for a period of 4 years after expiration of sentence. If the sentence is suspended or adjudication is withheld in a felony charge or in a misdemeanor directly related to the position or employment sought and a period of probation is imposed, the applicant must have been released from probation.
(3) Submit a fingerprint card to the division with a current processing fee. The fingerprint card will be forwarded to the Department of Law Enforcement and/or the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
(4) Have a good moral character as determined by investigation under procedure established by the division.
(5) Be in good physical condition as determined by a medical examination given by a physician or surgeon licensed to practice in the state pursuant to chapter 458, or an osteopathic physician or surgeon licensed to practice in the state pursuant to chapter 459. Such examination may include, but need not be limited to, provisions of the National Fire Protection Association Standard 1582. A medical examination evidencing good physical condition shall be submitted to the division, on a form as provided by rule, before an individual is eligible for admission into a firefighter training program as defined in s. 633.35.
(6) Be a nonuser of tobacco or tobacco products for at least 1 year immediately preceding application, as evidenced by the sworn affidavit of the applicant.
History.--ss. 8, 17, ch. 69-323; s. 1, ch. 70-110; ss. 1, 6, ch. 75-151; s. 1, ch. 77-116; s. 2, ch. 81-205; s. 10, ch. 84-243; s. 3, ch. 88-209; s. 1, ch. 89-89; s. 23, ch. 89-233; s. 7, ch. 91-189; s. 13, ch. 93-276.
Note.--Former s. 163.490.