Section 634.415, Florida Statutes 2001
634.415 Tax on premiums; annual statement; reports; quarterly statements.--
(1) In addition to the license fees provided in this part for service warranty associations and license taxes as provided in the insurance code as to insurers, each such association and insurer shall, annually on or before March 1, file with the department its annual statement, in the form prescribed by the department, showing all premiums or assessments received by it in connection with the issuance of service warranties in this state during the preceding calendar year and using accounting principles which will enable the department to ascertain whether the financial requirements set forth in s. 634.406 have been satisfied.
(2) The gross amount of premiums and assessments is subject to the sales tax imposed by s. 212.0506.
(3) The department may levy a fine of up to $100 a day for each day an association neglects to file the annual statement in the form and within the time provided by this part. The amount of the fine shall be established by rules promulgated by the department. The department shall deposit all sums collected by it under this section to the credit of the Insurance Commissioner's Regulatory Trust Fund.
(4) In addition to an annual statement, the department may require of licensees, under oath and in the form prescribed by it, quarterly statements or special reports which it deems necessary to the proper supervision of licensees under this part. For manufacturers as defined in s. 634.401, the department shall require only the annual audited financial statements of the warranty operations and corporate reports as filed by the manufacturer with the Securities and Exchange Commission, provided that the department may require additional reporting by manufacturers upon a showing by the department that annual reporting is insufficient to protect the interest of purchasers of service warranty agreements in this state or fails to provide sufficient proof of the financial status required by this part.
(5) The department may suspend or revoke the license of a service warranty association failing to file its annual statement or quarterly report when due.
(6) The department may by rule require each service warranty association to submit to the department, as the department may designate, all or part of the information contained in the financial statements and reports required by this section in a computer-readable form compatible with the electronic data processing system specified by the department.
History.--s. 5, ch. 78-255; s. 3, ch. 81-148; s. 2, ch. 81-318; s. 3, ch. 83-265; ss. 11, 36, 37, 38, ch. 83-322; s. 30, ch. 87-99; s. 11, ch. 88-206; s. 37, ch. 89-356; s. 46, ch. 90-119; s. 58, ch. 91-106; ss. 19, 20, ch. 93-195; s. 21, ch. 2001-281.