Section 30.50, Florida Statutes 2009
30.50 Payment of salaries and expenses.--
(1) The sheriff shall requisition and the board of county commissioners shall pay him or her, at the first meeting in October of each year, and each month thereafter, one-twelfth of the total amount budgeted for the office; provided, that at the first meeting in January of each year, the board shall, at the request of the sheriff, pay one-sixth of the total appropriated, and one-twelfth each month thereafter, which payments shall be not more than the total appropriation. Provided further that any part of the amount budgeted for equipment shall be paid at any time during the year upon the request of the sheriff.
(2) The sheriff shall deposit the county warrant or warrants in his or her official bank account as provided in s. 30.51(3) and draw his or her own checks thereon in payment of the salaries of the sheriff and his or her deputies, clerks, and employees and the expenses of office. All salaries paid shall be supported by payrolls, and all expenses paid shall be supported by approved bills; provided, that the sheriff may draw a check to himself or herself for the expense of an investigation, and may note on the voucher only the information that he or she may consider proper to divulge.
(3) The sheriff may set up a revolving fund for payment in cash of small items. The revolving fund shall be reimbursed from time to time by payment of the vouchers representing the cash payments.
(4) The sheriff shall keep necessary budget accounts and records, and shall charge all paid bills and payrolls to the proper budget accounts. The reserve for contingencies, or any part thereof, may be transferred to any of the budget appropriations, in the discretion of the sheriff. With the approval of the board of county commissioners, or of the budget commission if there is a budget commission in the county, the budget may be amended as provided for county budgets in s. 129.06(2).
(5) All expenses incurred in the fiscal year for which the budget is made shall be vouchered and charged to the budget for that year, and to carry out this purpose the books may be held open for 30 days after the end of the year.
(6) All unexpended balances at the end of each fiscal year shall be refunded to the board of county commissioners, and deposited to the county fund or funds from which payment was originally made.
History.--s. 4, ch. 57-368; s. 189, ch. 95-147.