Section 189.4155, Florida Statutes 2009
189.4155 Activities of special districts; local government comprehensive planning.--
(1) Construction or expansion of a public facility, or major alteration which affects the quantity or quality of the level of service of a public facility, which is undertaken or initiated by a special district or through some other entity shall be consistent with the applicable local government comprehensive plan adopted pursuant to part II of chapter 163; provided, however, the local government comprehensive plan shall not:
(a) Require an independent special district to construct, expand, or perform a major alteration of any public facility; or
(b) Require any special district to construct, expand, or perform a major alteration of any public facility which would result in an impairment of covenants and agreements relating to bonds validated or issued by the special district.
(2) When a local government has issued a development order which approves the construction of public facilities or has issued a development order pursuant to chapter 380, the local government shall not use the requirements of this section to limit or modify the right of an independent special district to construct, modify, operate, or maintain public facilities authorized by the development order.
(3) The provisions of this section shall not apply to water management districts created pursuant to s. 373.069, to regional water supply authorities created pursuant to s. 373.1962, or to spoil disposal sites owned or used by the Federal Government.
(4) Ports listed in s. 403.021(9)(b) which operate in compliance with a port master plan which has been incorporated into the appropriate local government comprehensive plan pursuant to s. 163.3178(2)(k) shall be deemed to be in compliance with the requirements of this section.
(5) Nothing in this section shall create or alter the respective rights of local governments or special districts to provide public facilities or services to a particular geographic area or location, nor shall this section alter or affect the police powers of any local government or the authority or requirements under chapter 163.
(6) Any independent district created under a special act or general law, including, but not limited to, this chapter, chapter 190, chapter 191, or chapter 298, for the purpose of providing urban infrastructure or services may provide housing and housing assistance for its employed personnel whose total annual household income does not exceed 140 percent of the area median income, adjusted for family size.
History.--s. 21, ch. 89-169; s. 17, ch. 97-255; s. 6, ch. 2006-69; s. 12, ch. 2007-5.