Section 238.03, Florida Statutes 2009
(1) The general administration and the responsibility for the proper operation of the retirement system and for making effective the provisions of this chapter are vested in the Department of Management Services. Subject to the limitation of this chapter, the department shall, from time to time, establish rules and regulations for the administration and transaction of the business of the retirement system and shall perform such other functions as are required for the execution of this chapter.
(2) The department shall keep in convenient form such data as shall be necessary for actuarial valuation of the various funds created by this chapter and for checking the experience of the retirement system.
(3) The Department of Legal Affairs shall be the legal adviser of the department.
(4) The department shall employ such agents, servants and employees as in its judgment may be necessary to carry out the terms and provisions of this chapter and shall provide for their compensation. Among the employees of the department shall be an actuary who shall be the technical adviser of the department on matters regarding the operation of the funds created by the provisions of this chapter and who shall perform such other duties as are required in connection therewith.
(5) In the year 1943 and at least once in each 5-year period thereafter, the actuary shall make an actuarial investigation of the mortality, service and salary experience of the members and beneficiaries as defined in this chapter, and shall make a valuation of the various funds created by the chapter, and having regard to such investigation and valuation, the department shall adopt such mortality and service tables as shall be deemed necessary, and shall certify the rates of contribution payable under the provisions of this chapter.
(6) The actuary shall make an annual valuation of the assets and liabilities of the funds of the retirement system on the basis of the tables adopted by the department in accordance with the requirements of this section, and shall prepare an annual statement of the amounts to be contributed by the state in accordance with s. 238.09.
(7) The department shall publish annually the valuation, as certified by the actuary, of the assets and liabilities of the various funds created by this chapter, a statement as to the receipts and disbursements of the funds, and a statement as to the accumulated cash and securities of the funds.
(8) The department shall keep a record of all of its proceedings and such record shall be open to inspection by the public.
History.--s. 3, ch. 19014, 1939; CGL 1940 Supp. 892(158); s. 1, ch. 28109, 1953; s. 2, ch. 29942, 1955; s. 19, ch. 63-400; ss. 11, 31, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 1, ch. 69-184; s. 64, ch. 71-377; s. 1, ch. 73-326; s. 95, ch. 92-279; s. 55, ch. 92-326; s. 37, ch. 94-249; s. 75, ch. 99-255; s. 29, ch. 2004-335.