Section 320.072, Florida Statutes 2009
1320.072 Additional fee imposed on certain motor vehicle registration transactions.--
(1) A fee of $225 is imposed upon the initial application for registration pursuant to s. 320.06 of every motor vehicle classified in s. 320.08(2), (3), and (9)(c) and (d).
(2) The fee imposed by subsection (1) shall not apply to:
(a) Any registration renewal transaction.
(b) A transfer or exchange of a registration license plate from a motor vehicle that has been disposed of to a newly acquired motor vehicle pursuant to s. 320.0609(2) or (5).
(c) Any initial registration resulting from transfer of title between coowners as provided by s. 319.22, transfer of ownership by operation of law as provided by s. 319.28, or transfer of title from a person to a member of that person's immediate family as defined in s. 657.002 who resides in the same household.
(d) The registration of any motor vehicle owned by and operated exclusively for the personal use of:
1. Any member of the United States Armed Forces, or his or her spouse or dependent child, who is not a resident of this state and who is stationed in this state while in compliance with military orders.
2. Any former member of the United States Armed Forces, or his or her spouse or dependent child, who purchased such motor vehicle while stationed outside of Florida, who has separated from the Armed Forces and was not dishonorably discharged or discharged for bad conduct, who was a resident of this state at the time of enlistment and at the time of discharge, and who applies for registration of such motor vehicle within 6 months after discharge.
3. Any member of the United States Armed Forces, or his or her spouse or dependent child, who was a resident of this state at the time of enlistment, who purchased such motor vehicle while stationed outside of Florida, and who is now reassigned by military order to this state.
4. Any spouse or dependent child of a member of the United States Armed Forces who loses his or her life while on active duty or who is listed by the Armed Forces as "missing-in-action." Such spouse or child must be a resident of this state and the servicemember must have been a resident of this state at the time of enlistment. Registration of such motor vehicle must occur within 1 year of the notification of the servicemember's death or of his or her status as "missing-in-action."
5. Any member of the United States Armed Forces, or his or her spouse or dependent child, who was a resident of this state at the time of enlistment, who purchased a motor vehicle while stationed outside of Florida, and who continues to be stationed outside of Florida.
(e) The registration of any motor vehicle owned or exclusively operated by the state or by any county, municipality, or other governmental entity.
(f) The registration of a truck defined in s. 320.08(3)(d).
(g) Any ancient or antique automobile or truck for private use registered pursuant to s. 320.086(1) or (2).
(3) A refund of the fee imposed under subsection (1) shall be granted to anyone who, within 3 months after paying such fee, sells, transfers, or otherwise disposes of a motor vehicle classified in s. 320.08(2), (3), or (9)(c) or (d) in any transaction not exempt from the fee pursuant to paragraph (2)(b), paragraph (2)(c), or paragraph (2)(d). A person requesting a refund must present proof of having paid the fee pursuant to subsection (1) and must surrender the license plate of the disposed-of vehicle.
(4) A tax collector or other authorized agent of the department shall promptly remit 44.5 percent of all moneys collected pursuant to this section, less any refunds granted pursuant to subsection (3), to the department to be deposited into the State Transportation Trust Fund. The remaining 55.5 percent shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund.
(5) The fee imposed in subsection (1) shall not apply if it is determined, pursuant to an affidavit submitted by the owner on a form approved by the department, that the registration being transferred is from a vehicle that is not operational, is in storage, or will not be operated on the streets and highways of this state.
History.--s. 1, ch. 89-364; s. 74, ch. 90-132; s. 113, ch. 90-136; s. 8, ch. 91-79; s. 10, ch. 91-82; s. 352, ch. 95-148; ss. 22, 38, ch. 96-413; s. 8, ch. 97-300; s. 31, ch. 99-248; s. 10, ch. 2000-257; s. 15, ch. 2009-71.
1Note.--Section 22, ch. 2000-257, provides that "[n]otwithstanding any other law to the contrary the requirements of sections 206.46(3) and 206.606(2), Florida Statutes, shall not apply to any funding, programs, or other provisions contained in this act."