Section 373.45924, Florida Statutes 2009
373.45924 South Florida Water Management District; Everglades truth in borrowing.--
(1) Definitions.--As used in this section, unless the context otherwise indicates:
(a) "Debt" means any evidence of indebtedness, including, but not limited to, an agreement to pay principal and any interest thereon, whether in the form of a contract to repay borrowed money or otherwise, and includes moneys borrowed from any source that are directed to a purpose for which they were not originally budgeted.
(b) "District" means the South Florida Water Management District.
(c) "Interest" means the compensation for the use or detention of money or its equivalent.
(d) "Interest rate" means the annual percentage of the outstanding debt or obligation payable as interest.
(e) "Obligation" means an agreement to pay principal and interest thereon, other than a debt, whether in the form of a lease, lease-purchase, installment purchase, or otherwise, and includes a share, participation, or other interest in any such agreement.
(f) "Outstanding debt" means any debt or obligation of which the principal has not been paid or for which an amount sufficient to provide for the payment of such debt or obligation and the interest on such debt or obligation to the maturity or early redemption of such debt or obligation has not been set aside for the benefit of the holders of such debt or obligation.
(g) "Principal" means the face value of the debt or obligation proposed to be issued or incurred.
(2) Whenever the South Florida Water Management District proposes to borrow or to otherwise finance with debt any fixed capital outlay projects or operating capital outlay for purposes pursuant to s. 373.4592, it shall develop the following documents to explain the issuance of a debt or obligation:
(a) A summary of outstanding debt, including borrowing.
(b) A statement of proposed financing, which shall include the following items:
1. A listing of the purpose of the debt or obligation.
2. The source of repayment of the debt or obligation.
3. The principal amount of the debt or obligation.
4. The interest rate on the debt or obligation.
5. A schedule of annual debt service payments for each proposed debt or obligation.
(c) A truth-in-borrowing statement, developed from the information compiled pursuant to this section, in substantially the following form:
The South Florida Water Management District is proposing to incur $ (insert principal) of debt or obligation through borrowing for the purpose of (insert purpose) . This debt or obligation is expected to be repaid over a period of (insert term of issue from subparagraph (b)5.) years from the following sources: (list sources) . At a forecasted interest rate of (insert rate of interest from subparagraph (b)4.) , total interest paid over the life of the debt or obligation will be $ (insert sum of interest payments) .
The truth-in-borrowing statement shall be published as a notice in one or more newspapers having a combined general circulation in the counties having land in the district. Such notice must be at least 6 inches square in size and shall not be placed in that portion of the newspaper where legal notices and classified advertisements appear.
History.--s. 4, ch. 97-258.