(1) There is established the Florida Center for Nursing to address issues of supply and demand for nursing, including issues of recruitment, retention, and utilization of nurse workforce resources. The Legislature finds that the center will repay the state’s investment by providing an ongoing strategy for the allocation of the state’s resources directed towards nursing.
(2) The primary goals for the center shall be to: (a) Develop a strategic statewide plan for nursing manpower in this state by:
1. Establishing and maintaining a database on nursing supply and demand in the state, to include current supply and demand, and future projections; and
2. Selecting from the plan priorities to be addressed.
(b) Convene various groups representative of nurses, other health care providers, business and industry, consumers, legislators, and educators to:
1. Review and comment on data analysis prepared for the center;
2. Recommend systemic changes, including strategies for implementation of recommended changes; and
3. Evaluate and report the results of these efforts to the Legislature and others.
(c) Enhance and promote recognition, reward, and renewal activities for nurses in the state by:
1. Promoting nursing excellence programs such as magnet recognition by the American Nurses Credentialing Center;
2. Proposing and creating additional reward, recognition, and renewal activities for nurses; and
3. Promoting media and positive image-building efforts for nursing.
(3) The Board of Nursing shall include on its initial and renewal application forms a question asking each nurse to voluntarily contribute to funding the Florida Center for Nursing in addition to paying the fees imposed at the time of licensure and licensure renewal. Revenues collected from nurses over and above the required fees shall be transferred from the Medical Quality Assurance Trust Fund to the Grants and Donations Trust Fund within the Department of Health and shall be used solely to support and maintain the goals and functions of the center. Before giving a nurse the opportunity to contribute to funding the center at the time of licensure renewal, the Board of Nursing shall provide the nurse with a summary of the center’s work, a link to the center’s Internet website, and the following statement: “The Florida Center for Nursing’s operating revenues are derived in part from your donation. In order for the Florida Center for Nursing to continue its work on behalf of nurses, please donate.”