(1) Except as to personal lines agents and limited licenses, a general lines agent or customer representative shall qualify for all property, marine, casualty, and surety lines except bail bonds which require a separate license under chapter 648. The license of a general lines agent may also cover health insurance if health insurance is included in the agent’s appointment by an insurer as to which the licensee is also appointed as agent for property or casualty or surety insurance. The license of a customer representative shall provide, in substance, that it covers all of such classes of insurance that his or her appointing general lines agent or agency is currently so authorized to transact under the general lines agent’s license and appointments. No such license shall be issued limited to particular classes of insurance except for bail bonds which require a separate license under chapter 648 or for personal lines agents. Personal lines agents are limited to transacting business related to property and casualty insurance sold to individuals and families for noncommercial purposes.
(2) Except as to a limited license as a credit life or disability insurance agent, the license of a life agent shall cover all classes of life insurance business.
(3) Except as to a limited license as a personal accident insurance agent, the license of a health agent shall cover all kinds of health insurance; and no license shall be issued limited to a particular class of health insurance.
(4) No agent licensee shall transact or attempt to transact under his or her license any line of insurance for which he or she does not have currently in force of record with the department an appointment by an authorized insurer.
(5) At any time while a license is in force, an insurer may apply to the department on behalf of the licensee for an appointment. Upon receipt of the appointment application and appointment taxes and fees, the department may issue the additional appointment without further investigation concerning the applicant.
(6) The department may contract with other persons to administer the appointment process.